Balbriggan, Co. Dublin
In spring of 2021 we were approached by our client to build a family home in Balbriggan, Co. Dublin. The main feature of the build was the hipped roof, which required lots of prep work on the roof before we could begin the slating. We supplied a specialist slate at the back of the house to ensure proper water run off and a nice clean finish.
The job took just under 3 months to complete amid covid restrictions and all the obstacles that entailed – but in the end, we produced a stunning family home with a lovely sand & cement plaster finish.
Location: Balbriggan, Co. Dublin
Duration: 3 months
- Once agreement has been reached, we have our engineers do up a report in relation to the structural calculations for the build.
- We then review these calcs with our Timber Frame Designer and Truss Designer to ensure that all parties are happy to proceed with the set calcs
- Our Timber Frame Designer then designs all panels to the exact measurements of the foundations/plans so that when its erected-on site it is 100% accurate.
- Once the drawings have been done and all parties have reviewed and approved of them – it is sent on then to our production manager to organize the production schedule
- Our Factory then work to cut and assemble the panels as per the Designers drawings
- Once all panels are made and have passed our inspection, they are carefully loaded onto a truck and then delivered to the site
- After the team have unloaded the panels on site, they then erect the panels as per the Erection Schedule
- Once all panels are erected, the project manager will inspect the structure and ensure he is happy with all work done now
- Our Engineers (3rd party) will inspect the kit and then issue a certificate to show that it matches their calcs
As the external walls were very straight forward – there was no need for any steel on this project. The main focus was designing the trusses so that the “Hip” effect would look well and that there would be no on-site issues when fitting the trusses. After a bit of back and forth between truss designer and panel designer – the designed was finalised and put into production.
The client had already the foundations in place before we joined the project and all we had to do was take the job from there to the external finishes.
Erecting the Kit
After the kit is unloaded, the team then go about erecting the kit as described in the erection schedule. As you can see on the image on the left the large steel beams that were highlighted in Red on the previous drawings on the last page.
The kits are then snagged by the Engineers, so that if there is any minor problems – these can be resolved and they can issue a cert for the build to show its compliance.
For the exterior finishes of the house – we went with the following:
- Sand & Cement Plaster Finish
- Triple Glazed Windows and Doors with Passive Frames
- Tegral Endurance Slates & Specialist Slates for high pitched slope area